Sunday, June 27, 2010

Where's My Key?

People rightfullly scorn 'bumper sticker dialogues'. They're shallow, with virtually no nuances, and they have no opportunity to have any kind of conversation. Its how I think, I have to admit; though I would like to have a deeper, richer understanding of my fellow man and their motivations, I usually think in short, blunt concepts that would fit easily onto a bumper sticker. I'm not a deep thinker.

Thus, this morning, when I saw a car with a bumper sticker that had the Obama symbol -- Oh, good, I thought -- followed by the phrase 'YOU LIE!", my first thought was -- well, rude, to put it mildly. I saw myself meeting that car's owner, and laying into them. Exactly HOW, I wasn't clear on -- would it be an intimidating and overwhelming array of fact? No, that sort of person wouldn't GET facts, let alone nuances; better go with the classics, such as Fuck you, moron. Which, of course, I knew that I would never do. I'm not confrontational; besides, people don't tend to take that well.

I wished that I was the sort of person who was comfortable with keying someone's car. I wouldn't do that, either, of course. But I wanted to, so badly.

Yesterday I saw a car with a bumper sticker that said Proud to Be A Maryland Democrat. I want something pithy like that.
Democrats Fix the Problems Republicans Cause.
Nah, too wordy.

So I donated money to Harry Reid's Senate campaign.

No comments: