Friday, June 25, 2010

It's Not The Heat...

The temperature is quite nice at the moment - about 70 degrees, perhaps a little less. As for the 90% humidity, though, well......

Last night, we went out to dinner to celebrate my wife's birthday, going to a local restaurant that's slightly upscale. Generally, we liked it -- the feeling was of a well-run operation housed in an elegantly appointed building. The staff was friendly without being obtrusive (I dislike when someone says Hey, howya doing, do you guys want....). Service was a little rocky on occasion, but not objectionably so. We'd go again, I think.

I still have a small pile of things to read, here on the table, left over from the trip. Some are things that I wanted to reread more slowly, such as that Smart Money article I referred to earlier. I'm still startled by the range of things that organizations from hospitals to colleges to the ASPCA can easily and legally do to find out if you have sufficient money for them to pursue you (and sufficient means not so much should we bug him for a donation; instead, it's more how MUCH should we bug him). The latest I can't believe that note from the article: organizations can use satellite photography to determine the location of your house (next to a public park? Your house is worth more than others in the neighborhood) or its characteristics (you have a pool, and this is how big it is). It's really quite a surprising article, and more than a little distressing. I am not a big giver, and this makes me want to do it less.

Spoke with the kiddo again yesterday. I was surprised to find that she's used the hotel's facilities to update her friends via Facebook on the status of her trip. She's really glad to be there, and is looking forward to coming home -- not so much to see my loving family again as so I can get together with my friends. Okay, I'll take that. She did mention being slightly irritated that the keyboards in France are different than those she's used to -- extra characters, and (she says) the letters aren't all in the 'traditional' location. Oh, and she bought a beret.

One more day!

2 comments:

Tabor said...

That is what travel is all about...learning new things and stretching yourself...although I hope she get as much away from the keyboard.

Cerulean Bill said...

Oh, yes. The keyboard is only when she's back at the hotel, and that isn't until the late evening.