Thursday, June 03, 2010

Ending

The mentor program is over for the year.

My mento is going to just barely graduate. He has to take a summer remedial course in math, but then he's on to high school. I'm pleased for him, but I cannot take any credit for it.

I talked with two girls who were at our table, asking them what they thought of the program, and how they would make it better. They said that they thought a lot less talking and discussion, and a lot more hands-on work with their subjects, would be the best way. I'm inclined to agree. If I do it next year, that's how I'll do it.

I got into an interesting discussion about writing with one of the girls. She was lively and spoke well. Made me wish that I'd had her as a mento. Then I looked around, and noticed that most of the kids there were like mine -- nice enough, but not especially outgoing or insightful. On the low-key side. I guess that's par for the course. Be nice to get a smart kid, but a smart kid wouldn't be in the program.

Ah, well. Done for the year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I was never smart enough to mentor any one but I did spend one semester , three days a week helping a kid with his reading.