Reading The Unforgiving Minute. The author mentions handing out food and supplies to tribal leaders. As his squad drives away, he sees one leader brain another with a hoe and grab his stuff.
Read that Rolling Stone article.
I wonder, sometimes, what the deep thinkers come up with when they think about options to solve The Afghanistan Problem. Assuming it even can be.
I imagine that they think about:
- nuking the entire country, similar to wide-beam chemo
- isolating the country, nothing gets in or out
- buying off the country(1) - we'll give you money to keep yourselves in check
- buying off the country (2) - we'll give you money to assassinate the Taliban. Lots of money.
- going all Apocalypse Now on the place - look at me funny, you and the guy next to you get blown away
- reshaping it, blowing the hell out of impassable passes and toppling mountains, to make transit easier and hiding harder.
None of which sounds all that good to me, though I do like one of them.
What else do they contemplate?