Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wake Up Call

I asked my daughter to spend ten minutes last night, reviewing notes from the day's classes. She could pick which class, which notes. She grumbled but agreed. Five minutes later, it became apparent that she wouldn't have time to do that while still getting to Color Guard practice, which was being held early so that they could watch a video of their last performance. Fine, I said, you can read in the car on the way over. I saw her put a book on her lap.... and spend most of the ride fiddling with one of the performance flags. Okay, I said, I'll get you up fifteen minutes early tomorrow and you can do it then. Which I did.

Four minutes after I woke her up, I heard her moving around in the bathroom, so I let her be. And three minutes later, I saw her in one of the chairs in the living room, so I figured she was reading. Three minutes after that, I went into the living room to see if she wanted coffee -- which is when I saw that she was in the chair, but without any books. And dozing. I spoke to her, and she moved to her desk -- where, so far as I could tell, she sat, dozing.

Boy, this is fun.

No comments: