Thursday, September 17, 2009

Schooling

My daughter was ill today, and missed school. She was a little frantic about that, but we figured it was mostly that she was missing color guard practice, and getting their new uniforms.

Now it turns out that they aren't getting the uniforms until tomorrow.... but she may still be ill then (my wife is taking a hard line of 'you can be contagious for twenty four hours after you're sick'). She's frantic again -- only, the funny thing is, what she's frantic about is missing class. She's very much aware of missing material, and she doesn't want to do that.

This is a new attitude for her. Not that she was a slacker, last year, but I don't think she got tense about it if she missed a class. This time....maybe so. I think she's taking things more seriously. Not sure why, but it's an attitude to watch. Funny -- I don't want her going too far in the other direction.

As for the back-to-school night, it was mostly impressive. All but one of the teachers sounded sincere and committed (the one who didn't, knew his stuff; he just wasn't particularly into touchy-feeling -- to get a sense of the guy, all you need to know is that he's also a high school basketball coach). One was funny, saying that she'd been teaching for twenty years, and knew sophomores; they say things like 'My paragraph has to have structure? But..but...it has a title! Doesn't that mean I'm done, and I have no homework?' To which one parent said "Oh, you've met my child!"

No comments: