Friday, September 18, 2009

Snipe Hunt

We can't find the thermometer.

It's not that big -- about the size of a large orange -- and it's a pleasant, rounded shape, all blue and green. Nothing to stick in your memory, should your eye slide across it. We last saw it at the dining room table, where my daughter was again taking her temperature, wincing in dismay at a number starting with One rather than Nine. She wasn't happy. This morning, she had no idea - I wonder where I left that? - so each of us went around looking for it. We found lots of things -- oh, look, a cup, a glass, a spoon, and a jar of Nutella, none of which are supposed to be in her room -- and as for the downstairs room, my wife said, succinctly, If the sight of her stuff all over the place bothers you, don't look there. But I did, and I picked up and/or moved one or two things. It's what we call the It's Good to be The King effect; she'll have something in her hand, and then, when her mind moves on to something else, her hand opens, and that's where it stays until one of the courtiers finds it. My daughter actually told me last night that she doesn't like to put things in drawers because then she can't find them, and as for her closet, she really doesn't see the point. Really doesn't see the POINT? I obviously looked startled when she said that, and in return she gave me this little shoulder shrug. That's just the way it is, Dad. Deal with it. I made the mistake of mentioning that attitude to her mother.

When I called the school to say she'd be out again today, they asked if she had a fever, and we said yes. Why would they care? I wondered, and my wife said that a local college is tracking confirmed cases of swine flu, and they've got three. One of the symptoms is a fever. We looked at each other. Surely that's not this, though, we said. She doesn't have the fever all the time, and she doesn't have muscle aches, and fatigue, or a cough. She does have the fever sometimes, though, and a sore throat, and the occasional chills. And she did puke once, yesterday morning. Probably not. Still.... We're bringing her in for a checkup this morning. Unfortunately, it's the nurse practicitioner. I tend to think of her as good for things she's seen before, but not for anything, you know, serious.

I wish we could find that thermometer.

No comments: