Friday, September 25, 2009

Take This

Here's my take on a couple of things.

People say that the 'Mayo model' can be successfully applied elsewhere. I believe that it can. But I also believe that one of the reasons it works in one direction - excellence of care - is because multiple other factors are in support of it -- a homogeneous patient base, medical staff working for salary, a general control of their environment. To get the point of the spear where you want it, you need the shaft of the spear all lined up behind it. That's not always possible.

A fellow on NPR this morning, someone who's losing his home, said that the bank lenders got him into a position where he was set up to fail. I felt badly for him, but I made the point to my daughter that no one made him sign the loan. They enticed him, but he chose to do it. Perhaps he desperately needed a home, and that was the only game in town -- but he chose to do it.

Fumbling with my keys and the cell phone, I think why can't cell phones be 'stand alone programmable electronic devices' that can be programmed to unlock cars, change TV channels, and all that? And then I think: you mean, the iPhone?

No comments: