Thursday, September 10, 2009

Not Listening

I had to give up on a web site today. So long, Neo-Neocon.

I liked that site. I usually didn't like what they had to say, but it seemed that what the woman who writes it would say was delivered with intelligence and a good writing style. Since I've felt for some time that its a good idea to listen to people with whom you disagree, in the hope of finding flaws in your own thoughts and assumptions, I thought this was a good place to listen.

Over the last month, though, I found that even there, the rhetoric (if I can call it that) of the conservative opposition to the Obama health care plan has penetrated. There's little that Obama can do that those folks don't object to, it seems; as I like to say, he could be offering sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, and they'd not be happy. Its too much, not enough, too expensive, aimed at the wrong people....just not the way we'd have done it. I don't think Obama's perfect; I do think he's done things that he shouldn't have done. He might agree with that. But, overall, I like him, and I trust him. They don't, and it shows. Oh, baby, does it show.

So, the heck with them. It's my loss, I think, but I'll bear it, somehow.

No comments: