Friday, September 25, 2009

Politicking

Sometimes, I wish that we had a vigorous, intelligent Republican party in this country -- one without blowhards in high places, without schemers to whom it is much more important to be in power than to do something good for the nation with that power. A party of fiscal prudence coupled with integrity. I think that if such a party existed, and if they bested the Democrats in an election, I could think well, the best party won. I really do think that.

Not going to happen, of course. Not the 'besting the Democrats' -- that'll happen, sooner or later -- but the 'best party'. It seems that the Republicans have become known for scheming, power games, and generally being untrustworthy when it comes to the public weal. Their idea of 'the public' all lives on Wall Street and Fifth Avenue, and the rest of the country exists purely to generate wealth for them. That's not how Republicans should be, but it's how they are, these days. So the Democrats winning -- that's a good thing. They're not perfect, either -- but for the moment, they're better. They want power and chauffeured limosuines and close-to-the-gate parking at the airport, too, just like the other guys -- but they want power and wealth for Main Street, not Fifth Avenue. So, I'm for them, because Main's where I live.

I'd like to see us return to a sense of common, shared values, though. I think Obama's trying to do that (I am sure that die hard Republicans would disagree), but I don't know if he can pull it off. In a country where 'teabaggers' is considered political discourse, the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I think that the narrow minded ones who have fear in their hearts and hatred in their minds about this election are less than 15%...they are just louder and more passionate than the rest of us.

Cerulean Bill said...

Loud and passionate wins elections. People aren't stupid, generally. But we can be swayed by the damndest things, and sometimes But I heard it in a lot of places! is enough.