Friday, June 12, 2009

Whoosh!

I think I just dodged a networking bullet.

We want to replace our existing router. We want to get two things out of the replacement -- one, the ability to print without having to turn on a PC to make the connection to the printer, and two, a faster connection.

In reading the many articles about routers (most of which assume that of course you know that...) I got the impression that we could do this by purchasing a print server, which I thought was another way of saying 'router with the ability to talk to a printer'. Well, apparently not. I now gather that a print server can function as a router, but it (probably) needs an actual router, too, to make the connection to the internet. The cable or DSL doesn't connect directly to the print server, you see. I think.

I know, I know, that every discipline assumes a certain base set of knowledge. But networking seems unique in its ability to obscure, obfuscate, say the same thing twice in different ways, and say two different things in a way that makes them sound the same. They like to sprinkle some then a miracle occurs fairy dust, too.

The good news is, though the print server came today, we never even took it out of the shipping box, let alone its actual box. I think we'll be returning it.

Maybe in the next ten years, the people who write about networking will get the ability to do so in English. Until then, I'll stick with what we have. Damn thing works, after all. Lot to be said for that.

No comments: