Monday, June 22, 2009

My Daughter Plays With Sticks

Big ones.

This evening, I waited outside while she wrapped up her karate lesson. She really enjoys those lessons, and I'm pleased that she's taking them, both because it gives her confidence and because it gives her at least the nascent ability to discourage any guy who makes a move on her. I've never believed that physical sports could grant confidence, but this clearly does. And tonight, she took another step.

Tonight, she started sparring with the staff. Two feet long, about an inch and a half thick, solid oak. Just walking through the motions, because she's still a white belt, and you're supposed to be an orange before you do that. Not something for a neophyte to use, even casually. Nevertheless, she's doing it. Her moves are hesitant, wavering, sometimes inelegant, but she's doing it.

I am so glad for her, and so proud of her.

2 comments:

STAG said...

We just graduated a bunch of young people from the sword handling class. It is a very satisfying feeling to seem them start out fumbling so much, and then getting better and better as the weeks go by.

So I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Cerulean Bill said...

Personally, I think I'd want the 'sword avoidance' class. Or at least the 'pointy end of the sword-avoidance'. But thats just me.