Sunday, June 14, 2009

Box, Iced

In thinking about getting rid of our current refrigerator, we thought 'well, perhaps someone else can use it', so we sent a note to two very-networked neighbors, asking that they send it to anyone who might be interested. Heck, if we can save someone three or four hundred dollars...

We just saw the neighbors, and they jokingly asked why we were doing this at all if it still worked. My wife trotted out the it'll be more energy efficient argument, to which the neighbor replied well, sure, you'll likely save, oh, fifteen dollars a year on power! My wife got -- well, a little agitated on that, so he decided to stop. She didn't get mad, but her voice went up half an octave. She said something about not wanting to have the hassle of having it die on us, and therefore having to get a new one right quick, food loss, etc. And that would be a major hassle. Did I mention we have a full-size freezer downstairs? And my mother has a refrigerator? And we have a very small one from when my wife was in college?

On the way back inside, I murmured So tell me again why we're doing this? and she just smiled. A sort of frozen smile. Perhaps this is one of those things that guys just don't get.

Oh, and this new refrigerator has an automatic ice maker, always big on my list of important things. When we had the kitchen redone, they included a feed line for an ice maker. We have to drill a hole in a cabinet wall for it - no problem - but while we were contemplating that, I asked my wife 'how do we know this thing will work?' She said 'you just turn this knob, right here.' So we did.

No water.

The price of that refrigerator just went up by a hundred dollars, I think.

No comments: