Monday, June 15, 2009

Routed

I got the new 802.11G router installed. Like when I got new tires, and was asked if it drove better, and I replied 'for what I paid, of course it does!', after what I went through to get it installed, of course it runs faster.

I had to jump through hoops to get it to recognize the network name, for some reason. I'd named it CeruleanNet - catchy name - and it flat would not connect any devices. After much jiggering and pokering, I changed the name to CeruleanNet-1 -- and it connected. Go figure. Also, the other router (also a Netgear) would tell me if there were wireless laptops in the area, so that I could just select them when adding their MAC addresses, but this one wouldn't -- I had to manually type the MAC addresses in.

And I couldn't get one with a wireless connection to the printer -- it's still hard-plugged in into the desktop pc. C'est la vie.

But hey, it works. And did I mention how fast it is?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The technology for 802.11g seems to have been intended solely for masochistic geeks. You know - the sort that loves to figure out a difficult network or other problem, and then tell the world about it.

While Apple's Airport isn't quite as arbitrary, my experience with other wireless devices leads me to believe that the designers of those little boxes do like to tease...

Congratulations on defeating the Evil One! :-)

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

I'm guardedly pleased. Each of the devices that connect to the router have, one time each, come up with an 'IP Address conflict' error -- and not since then.

I totally do not get networks. Whenever a network person would tell me that it was impossible to do something that seemed perfectly reasonable to me, I always assumed it wasn't so much that it was impossible as that they, themselves, simply did not know how to do it, and therefore ASSUMED it was impossible. Because who would build a system that was opaque, at best?

Well, now I know.

Unknown said...

Oh, you're right about the network people when they say something is "impossible". When I started in networks, I didn't know what wasn't possible, and what was. As a result, I accomplished a lot of impossible things.

I heard "you can't do that" so many times that it became permission!

Carolyn Ann