Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Memento Mori

I don't read comics for death notices, but that's what I just got.

Made me think. How is it that you can instantly care about someone you've never met, but not care about the people you see all the time? Is it because when someone speaks glowingly of someone they knew who died, the person is 'vetted' -- someone's already checked them out and said 'this is a good person', but the people you see every day, some are good, some, you could care less about? Just sitting here, I think, well, there's some people I know, I'd be sorry if they died -- our friends Greg and Tracy, for example-- but truth to tell, not so many. As in, I had to stop and think a minute - surely there must be someone? For my wife, it'd be easier, as she really cares more about people, generally, than I do (am I a cold person? I don't think so. But, maybe). For me, it's hard to warm up to people.

So thinking aw, damn, I'm sorry that that happened about the death of someone I totally did not know: wow. Made me think.

No comments: