Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Warm Doings

I was out early this morning, mowing. Not incredibly early -- we went for a walk around 7:30 and were back in twenty minutes, so I was out with the mower around 8:15. One of the side yards is having a growth spurt, and I wanted to get on that before it got seriously out of control. I would have mown yesterday, but the high humidity and threatening rain -- which it never did do -- kept me inside. I don't handle humidity well. So, there I was, from about 8:15 till just before 9, doing that side yard and about 40% of the back yard. The mower would have done more, but I was already starting to think you know, this grass will be okay for another day. Tomorrow, same time, I'll finish the back yard and do the side -- and, who knows, if its cool enough, perhaps the front yard too. The front yard is easy. The other day, I even used the weed-whacker, which I hadn't done in a long time. Amazing little gadget, that.

I've been following politics a little bit, lately. I see where the Democrats in New York got a setback from the Republicans, losing control of the State Senate, which they'd just gotten several months ago for the first time in a long time. What makes this particularly interesting is that the Republicans were able to wrest back control with the help of two Democrats -- one of whom was thereupon appointed Secretary of the Senate. I don't know what that position means, exactly, but I surely do know what it smells like. And I see where, at the national level, Sarah Palin has refused to sink into well-deserved obscurity, and is actually getting a base of support among the Republicans. I know, its a long time until the next national elections, and anything could happen, but it's interesting to muse about what it would take for her to actually be their next candidate. Having three years to prepare for debates ought to help, I'd guess.

I'm trying bread, again. I've tried three times now to make hot dog rolls -- we like Boars Head hot dogs, which are seven inches long, making them a bit too long for your average six inch commercially sold bun. For the life of me, I could not make the recipe work, so I found another, and today I'm trying that. As is normally the case, I am optimistic. We'll see how I feel in about two hours when I'm rolling out the dough and doing the initial shaping. And perhaps I'll bake some cookies, too!

2 comments:

susiej said...

OK, Bill, how are the neighbors with the lawnmower at 8:15?! I mean, I do admire that you're up and enjoy the fresh air in the cool morning -- but are you out in the country?

I know what you mean about those buns... they are difficult. Fresh Bread in Five minutes is working on a new book... and they have a blog, and they might have the answer to your problem. I had trouble making breadsticks, and commented, and the authors emailed me back.

Cerulean Bill said...

Neighbors are fine, for three reasons: a) its an electric mower,so relatively quiet, b) of the six houses somewhere near, four aren't home then, and one sometimes mows then, too, and c) I'm only out there for an hour, max.

I just hate it when something simple like those buns doesn't work. I'm thinking What in the WORLD is wrong???