Friday, June 05, 2009

Breaking the Fast

This morning, we had sausage, and it was good.

We don't normally eat sausage. For several years, we had it routinely, three or four times a week. Then, a confluence of events, from inconsistent quality to getting elevated cholesterol numbers made us say Okay, we can back off on this. And we did. Still have bacon once a week (and I can just hear the little naggers at the Center For Science that's Positively Irritating saying If you have bacon more than once a decade, you increase the likelihood of stroke, heart attack, and hang nails!!!!) but that's it.

Yesterday, when I went to the store, I did not have a good time. Part of it was me -- I'd left my phone in the car, to charge; I didn't have a pen -- and part of it was them -- where the hell did they move the soy sauce to in their latest rejiggering of where things are? So when I hit the aisle where the bacon is, I saw the sausage, and it triggered a memory. Ah, yes. So this morning, we had sausage and waffles; I had coffee.

And it was good.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This morning I had a bit of ham that was still attached to the pig. Fortunately it had ceased going "oink"... :-)

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

CA, good to hear from you. I had wondered if you were sick or had just decided to go live in a cave for a while.

Though, still attached to the pig? Hmm... perhaps my musings were not lurid enough!

Unknown said...

I used to move around a lot, and to discover a properly made sausage was one of the pleasures of getting to know a new city.

During the '70s and '80s, there seemed to be a tendency to accept poor quality food. At least around here. Restaurants would serve crappy sausages, diesel fuel coffee, and industrial eggs in order to keep the price under two dollars, and people seemed to feel that THAT is what sausages are supposed to taste like! After one particularly nasty sawdust filled purchase, I proclaimed that "life is too short to eat bad food".

I now purchase food processed by the guy I buy it from. WHAT a difference. My colesterol level is down, I no longer get food related migraines, people rave over the quality of my bacon when I have them over for breakfast, my coffee is no longer grown in South America but instead is grown in Africa, my bacon has lots of salt in it, but NO preservatives, so my blood pressure is way down as well.

And I am printing out cookie recipes from this guy on blogger named Bill....

Cerulean Bill said...

People named Bill are not to be trusted. Cookie recipes, on the other hand, enhance the quality of life.

I agree with what you say about quality of food. I am by NO means a foodie -- I eat like a kid, which is to say, I only eat things I've eaten before, and sometimes not that -- but even I have begun to think, every so often, that there ought to be more to food than the way we currently prepare it. I doubt I'd eat some of the things that the French or the Italians eat, but if I didn't know what it was, I would bet that I would enjoy much of it. Just don't tell me!

I can cook, but I'd like to be able to cook better, and cook more. Unfortunately, most cooking classes are taught by foodies.

The bacon thing is interesting. Most of the bacon sold where we shop is absolute crap. We found one that's made in Pennsylvania (not local to us, though), which is quite good. It's made in a commercial plant, so it likely does have preservatives in it. We tried buying some 'gourmet' bacon, sending out of state for it, and paying a TON for it; while it was good, we didn't feel it was AMAZINGLY good, which is what it would have had to be in order to be worth the price.