Friday, June 12, 2009

Oh, I Think That....

I'm always intrigued by articles that say what (fill in the classification) want in (fill in the classification). As in, what men want in women; what women want in men; what blacks want in white; what lesbians want in motorcyclists. Okay, I haven't seen the last one, but it's only a matter of time. The most recent is an article citing a study of Australian men which says that they don't care for rail-thin women, but would rather 'normal-looking' women.

Now, granted, what the article considers 'normal-looking' isn't the same as the women you'd see in the supermarket or picking up the kids at school, generally; their example, Hannah Millward, is slender, blonde, and twenty-eight years old. I wouldn't mind being described that way myself! She says that she is "immaculately groomed at all times", which I suppose lets me out, and considers herself to be "a bit normal...not skinny and not big". You know - normal.

Whenever I describe my wife, and say something like 'she's not gorgeous, but she looks great to me', I always feel as if I'm copping out -- implying that well, she's kind of plain, but she makes great meatloaf. I don't think she's plain at all, but even if she was, so what? Most people are. It's the stunning ones, both those who have good genes and those who fake it, who are the outliers. Normal is where it's at.

(And she does make good meatloaf!)

No comments: