Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The Specter of Spector

It would take some to make me think of Spector the way I think of Lieberman. His support of Coleman in the Minnesota marathon, though, is a step in the Lieberman direction; his refusal to characterize himself as someone who will routinely -- not robotically, just routinely -- support the Democratic line is another, somewhat longer step.

His clear and unemotional reasoning for his departure from the Republican Party makes sense to me, though it is as cold-blooded as they come, and his comment about not being willing to subject himself to the Republican primary, because he 'supports the people of Pennsylvania, not the Republican Party', is more than a little coy. I think a little less of him than I did before he said those things. If you don't want to be a Republican, and you don't want to routinely support being a Democrat, there is a third option -- though one that affects your political might. That keeping that political might was his secondary motivation for the move all the way over -- well, I don't much care for that.

My wife tells me that Tom Ridge is considering running against him. I'm warming to that idea.

No comments: