Wednesday, May 06, 2009

DHO

Last night, I dreamt that I took a drive to the other side of the small development in which we live.

On the way, I realized that there were no other cars in the streets -- and that the paving was now different, a sort of dark black, vaguely shimmering substance that looked like oil. I decided to turn back. The street where we live was crowded with construction vehicles and people busily cutting down trees and putting in new houses, cramming them into every available slot and spot. I made my way around several trucks and found our home -- though it was difficult, since there was now another house directly in front of ours, where the two trees used to be, and another on the other side of the driveway. My wife met me in the yard. I told her, as we walked past the dumpster (which didn't used to be there) that belonged to the gas station (ditto) about what I'd seen. We sat on a bench (on the paved piece that used to be grass), and she told me that this type of abrupt conversion was a known problem in certain computer systems, one that the vendor refused to fix. We'd just have to live with it.

The problem, she said, even had a name. It was a Dead Harley Overflow.

No comments: