Friday, May 08, 2009

I Fixed It

My daughter's of the current generation, so I assume that she of course understands all sorts of things about technology that I do not. In fact, she doesn't. What she does is accept them -- as much, I suppose, as I accept indoor plumbing and electricity. They are nothing remarkable, they just are.

A
few weeks ago, she mentioned to my wife that she was unable to send text messages from her phone. She said a 'weird message' came up, and she showed it to my wife, who, telling me later, couldn't remember it. I said that I'd take a look at it. My daughter refused to let me do that. "It's fine, Dad", she said, firmly. "But I can-" "It's fine." Okay. Hell with it.

Today, I mentioned to her reading of the girl who'd sent 303,000 text messages in one month, and my daughter said that yeah, okay, fine, she would show me the error. I Google'd it, saw a bunch of posts on various forums about it, figured out what they had in common, and told her via an email. A few moments ago, I told her that I'd sent her a couple of emails about it. Yeah, I know, she replied, not looking up from the television. I saw them. I fixed it.

I'm pleased that she fixed it, but a little gratitude would have been nice. And if she's the generation that gets it, why doesn't this kind of research occur to her?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now here is a topic I have been meaning to blog about for awhile. I am always surprised by how many people I know my age that don't think to research an answer to a question online.
I almost immediately go to google with problems and I have become very good at using right key words to find answers.
Its like they forget we are in the age of information. Hmm maybe I should blog about this.

Cerulean Bill said...

I agree. I think that given your age and environment, you'd have some unique and valuable insights.

Some would never occur to me did I not read them. For example, I saw a survey the other day on whether Twitter was effectively a replacement for RSS feeds. How could it be, I wondered -- and then, well, obviously, SOMEONE thinks it could be -- why? What do they see in it that I don't?