Monday, May 11, 2009

Alternatives

I was going to go see Star Trek today, but I think I'm going to make pizza, instead.

Partially, it's because I don't want to be away from the house -- I called Dell to see if they'd repair the laptop again (I'm not expecting it, because, frankly, I think they went above and beyond before, but it did fail, so... what the heck); I don't want to delay any conversations, even if they're on the order of 'Bill, did you think we were Santa and this is Christmas Eve?'

Partially, it's because I'd really rather see ST with my wife, than alone. Unfortunately, that's unlikely to happen, with her work schedule -- but, I'm thinking, we are toying with getting a flat-screen TV, and this is going to come out on DVD...hmm..... And it's not like I'm a hard-core Trekkie. Or Trekker. Or whatever the currently in-vogue phrase is.

Partially, it's because I really did want to make some pizza. Actually, what I want is to make three or four small ones, and try different seasonings on them. I have no clue (well, okay, a little, but not much) about what it is that gives certain pizzas that distinctive taste, that tang that says 'New York Pizza' to me. I know that it's perfectly possible to have a decent pizza without that -- and I am by no means either an experimenter (no goat cheese on it!) or a purist (I enjoyed a Pizza Hut thin crust pepperoni, the other night, even as I was thinking Man, this is a dry, tasteless pizza). I just have wondered for a while: how do you do it? Now, I know that King Arthur Flour will sell 'pizza spices', and I'm willing to believe they would give the taste -- but a) I'm not willing to pay the freight for that (literally; the cost is okay, but shipping isn't), and b) I tend to think of it as cheating -- it still won't give me the ability to replicate the flavor myself. So... And it doesn't hurt that I wanted to try this recipe from the KAF site, even though I have a plain one and a honey-wheat one that are both very good.

Partially, it's because I have a LOT of reading to do, some of it dense, and I want to do it. What better time than while waiting for a call and/or waiting for pizza dough to rise?

So -- that's the plan.

2 comments:

STAG said...

I finally watched Star Trek, and on IMAX no less. Oh my lord! What a fun movie.

Of course I still think the characters are cut out stereotypes, but the special effects make up for the acting, or lack thereof.

And Jim Kirk is still a dxxx. But hey, Spock, or rather the human side of him has an affair. Oh my....

Cerulean Bill said...

This being a burg, we have one IMAX -- and its booked for some other flick.

I admit, I WOULD like to see it. I'm just cheap.