Friday, May 15, 2009

Disassembly and Changes

I just spent about half an hour taking apart an old laptop. It was the first of the Dell laptops we had gotten, and the first that exhibited the dreaded power jack problem. For anyone who's still out there, and keeping count, this is three laptops, two DPJPs. At one time, I'd thought how hard could this be?, but having seen the classic Factory Authorized Technician and what he had to go through to get my daughter's laptop apart, I realized that the chances of my successfully getting that one apart were infinitesimal -- but perhaps the older one? So I did, and I'm here to say that they were made with lots more screws and hidden little connections, but you can get it apart. However, there is no way you will ever get it back together. I can only assume that the people who do this for a living have very long thin fingers and eidetic memories.

My wife says that EDS is looking for people who are willing to go to India for four months. Unlike the IBM offer, it's not a relocation, and it's not paid at the Indian scale. But four months...man. I got itchy after six weeks in Australia (came back, went back), and that was someplace I really liked . Four months in India would be pretty intense. I think it could be interesting, though. I told her that whatever she wants to do is okay with me. Food wouldn't be a problem -- I've got Pizza Hut on five minute alert standby -- and as for cleaning...well. Ahem.

We learned today that a woman with whom we'd both worked has died after several years of chemotherapy. She had gone into remission two years ago, but last year it came back. Two days ago, she went to a hospice, and today, she died. She was not a close friend, but she was a decent person (why don't the foul people die? I guess they do, but nobody cares), and we are saddened by the loss.

No comments: