Friday, May 08, 2009

Gears and Wheels

There's an ad for, I believe, the Visa Check Card that would have you believe that using their card to pay for things is ever so much better than using nasty, smelly, germ-laden cash. Although the ad is stupid, it does have a point: using a credit card (which is, I guess, not what that actually is, but: close enough) is faster and more convenient. It's why we have all but one of our recurring bills charged directly to the card -- we don't have to write and mail checks, we get immediate access to the account history, all of that. This is a good thing. It's one of the things, in fact, that we've come to expect - instantaneous electronic communications, limited use of paper, ease of access.

Every so often, though, the system gets one of Grace Hopper's bugs in the gears.....

I discovered a while ago that I was about out of several meds I take. The meds are filled through the Express Scripts function; what happens is that I get paper prescriptions for 90 day batches, refillable, and as I need to, I go to their web site and say "send me more drugs". Neat and clean. We are probably contributing to the death of the neighborhood drug store, and that does bother me a little, but only a little.

So, I went to their site, and, to my surprise, found that only two of the prescriptions were there, and both said that they needs a new prescription - no more refills.

Now, this is for a chronic condition I have, for which I'm not likely to stop taking meds, so it bemuses me a bit that they need a new prescription. I suppose that's their way of making sure that I actually did go back to see a medical person, and not just keep reordering forever. But this is where it gets sticky, because the prescription is on paper, and have to be physically mailed into their office, to be physically typed into their system, before it starts kicking out the drugs. I think: huh? No electronic way of getting this information to them? Got to get out the old quill and inkpot, hand it to a passing horseman, hope it gets there? Yup. To start the process -- or, in this case, restart it -- you've got to use paper. Oh, someday, they say, it'll be done electronically. Not there yet. For now:

Sent them the forms. On paper. Gummin up the works.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like Target - they also autofill the prescription, give me a call (automated), and even call the doc for a new prescription.

My (new) doctor had to get used to the idea that I would turn up when something is wrong. Previously, I had to make an appointment, and go see him. (He wanted to check up on me? Yeah, right. I think he wanted the check from the insurance company for my visit!) Then the whole process would kick in.

It's quite neat. I don't participate in killing off the local drugstore - they disappeared long ago. And I prefer Target to the big name pharmacies. More cheerful, and I can sneak a peek at some cute outfits while I'm in the store! :-)

(That last bit might not work for you...)
Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

Oh, I can look at the cute outfits, CA. It's just that when I do, there's a cute girl wearing them. Other than that, no difference!

I guess I'm flabbergasted because I had thought of this as a fairly slick system. I'm unhappy to see holes in it. Some are me, I admit. They do have a notification system, but its phone based, and the recording is slow. "Hello....this is Express..Scripts.....your pharmacy benefits manager. This call...is for Bill. Is this the right phone number for Bill?.." And so on. No way to say 'cut to the chase, dammit!' They apparently COULD send me an email, but the people who set it up disallowed email notification, god only knows why. Or Bertrand Russell, if you're an atheist.

And I suspect strongly you're right about the doc's motivations.