Sunday, February 04, 2007

Sunday notes

It's been colder, but not recently -- and tonight its going to get down to about five above; fifteen below with the wind chill. It'll be like that Monday morning, which makes it a really good day to work from home. Its also the day that I set up an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon for fairly early in the morning. Get up early, and get frozen, all in one convenient swoop. Then on Tuesday, I get to visit with the oral surgeon, who will undoubtedly scare the bejabbers out of me with what he's planning to do. Not that I think its a bad idea -- in fact, I think its a very good idea, so much so that, paradoxically, it worries me that he doesn't seem as fascinated by it as I am. What downside is there that he hasn't seen fit to mention? But whats really got me freaked is the period when I essentially won't have any upper teeth -- that'll be the period while waiting for the extractions to heal, since I assume I can't wear the full - upper jaw 'dental appliance' until then. I detest looking like a goof -- and only partially because it jabs me in the conscience. What if, what if. I have to remember that what is, is; that's what you deal with. Funny that it took me so long to get to that realization.

I was watching a woman with a small child in church this morning. The kid was pretty good -- about two years old, intermittently active, with the beguiling smile that young kids are known for. She reminded me of my daughter, when she was younger. Just a really cute kid (aren't they all?)

An article in the Washington Post lists the current opinions of people who said that the Iraq war was a bad idea, or a good idea badly executed; while this was the reason these particular people were selected, its sobering to see them say, to a man (and woman), that their correctness does not please them, and that the taste of vindication is not sweet. Zbigniew Brezienski said that more than lack of elation, he worries that some people may be saying that the war would work if it were expanded to Iran. I am not a deep thinker, but I agree with him -- and I would bet serious money that there are serious people proposing exactly that. Cliches aside, there are times to hold and times to fold; its tough to say which this is now. We simply don't know whats going on in that part of the world -- things are much more volatile than ever they've been. Like getting out of Vietnam, I think we're going to end up just getting the hell out of there. I don't think we have a realistic vision of what 'success' would even be, let alone a prayer of achieving it. I don't see them having anyone who sounds like our preference for a 'leader' -- their style seems to be the strongman, and Hussein was the closest they had.

My daughter told me that her friends were looking forward to decorating the cake that I'll be baking for her birthday. This was the first I'd heard of my involvement. She would like to get a telephone for her birthday, and I'm leaning a bit in that direction -- not happy about it, but it kind-of makes sense to me. I don't want her to be in a competition race with the other kids, but having a telephone seems to be on the level of a basic necessity, these days, for her and for us. Even if you don't autodial 911 with it.

I still want to bake something today. We compromised; making the 'spiced bacon' along with waffles and chocolate-orange coffee. The bacon's really easy; just thick - cut with a sprinkling of brown sugar, crushed rosemary, and a trace of cayenne pepper. Perhaps this afternoon I'll make some kind of small cake. Possibly something suitable for Valentines day -- we don't do the candy and flowers bit, but I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to try making a torte. How hard could it possibly be? (g) Though there's always... truffles?


No comments: