Friday, February 09, 2007

Petty Pelosi

Proving that Democrats can be just as petty as Republicans when it comes to perks --

"I am happy to ride commercial coast to coast," Pelosi said, sounding not very happy as she went on to suggest that she was being denied the same privileges provided her predecessor.

"I'm not saying that I am being discriminated against because I am a woman," she said. "I'm just saying as the first woman speaker, I have no intention of having less respect for the office I hold than all of the other speakers that have come before me."

I'm always impressed by the "I'm not saying..." brand of rhetoric. I'm not saying, for example, that she is a whinging crybaby, or being petulant, or anything of that nature. And I would never imply that use of the phrase 'because I am a woman' is obfuscatory or a red herring. Certainly not.

I do find it interesting that she equates 'respect for the office' with 'having a private jet', though. To my mind, 'respect for the office' means 'acting with probity and dignity; acting ethically and in an honest manner'. But perhaps she really does think that having a small jet isn't dignified. Not sure about the probity, ethics, or honesty.

The original request for the larger plane (apparently) comes from the House Sergeant At Arms. Far be it from me to suggest that he didn't actually say it. Perhaps he did... at the behest of someone in another office. As I understand it, the larger jet is considered necessary for transcontinental capability without refueling, because refueling is considered 'problematic' . Security, you know.

My question: there are no secure Air Force bases between DC and California?

No comments: