Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Health Care

I just discovered that last year, when the company I work for switched health plans, I picked one that does not pay for some expensive medical work that I need to have done. This flummoxes me, as both I and my wife looked at the selections, agreed that what I was selecting was the right thing, and still apparently completely missed the (relatively) small print. As they say, the big print giveth, the small print taketh away. And, of course, I can't change now.

I hate the part of society that thinks its okay to have the small print, just as I hate the parts of society that thinks its okay to have an ad promoting something, and theres a small, virtually illegible disclaimer at the bottom of the screen, or rattled off very quickly at the end of the announcement, that limits, restricts, and eviscerates what they just spent fifty seconds promoting. Its vile.

If this is what two informed adults can do now, what in the world will we do when we are older and less well informed?

5 comments:

STAG said...

Move to Canada.

Cerulean Bill said...

A lot to like about Canada, no doubt about it. And give global warming a couple of years, it'll be right toasty. You'll see me on Yonge Street in my T shirt and shorts, reflecting on the difference between Celsius and Farenheit....

Sweeti said...

Fine Print...I peeves to no end also, I think first off of the less fortunate or under educated. Most of the time they don't understand the fine details and become unfortunate victims especially having to do with the Medical field.
Heck, just reading some of this crap (I mean fine print) they write can send you into a mind boggling, confusing spin.
It has been such an industry standard now that we'll never see it go away.
I've heard Canada has their problems also with the health care field. But vacationing there is fun.

Cerulean Bill said...

I think its just wrong...and something that ought not to be done in an ethical society. But hey, I've been wrong before....

Sweeti said...

You got my vote to outlaw it.