Thursday, February 22, 2007

NSB

I'm a bright guy. I know this. But I also know that I'm not as bright as I (sometimes) think I am, and I'm frequently not as insightful as other people, even most other people. I'm not oblivious to them, but I sure do seem to let a lot of nuances go by. This might relate directly to my difficulty in making friends.

But today I got a surprise that makes me suspect that I am not even as bright as I think I am given the caveat above. In a nutshell, I had a technical discussion with a coworker who I've always thought of as not particularly bright -- and he just blew my doors right off. I mean, he thought of things and read things that I would not have considered except in the wildest extremes. He had insights that I'm not sure I've had in the last twenty years.

I was astounded, and humbled.

1 comment:

Sweeti said...

Being humbled is good, sometimes it just reminds us that we either judge too quickly or don't listen enough.