Monday, February 26, 2007

Questions

Sometimes I like to pose myself a question and try to come up with an answer. The question is usually something that I assume is answerable, but the answer isn't obvious. For example, this relatively famous photograph:


How would you retrieve the car so as to get it back on dry land with minimal damage to the car and the boat? What would you need? How would you get it in place?

Best I can think of is some kind of barge under it -- and even then, I'm not sure how I'd lower it down.

4 comments:

Narie said...

Grr, blogger at my post.

Ok, here's how I would do it:

I'd have a boat pushing into this boat from the left side, pushing the boat towards the dock at the same time a tow truck was pulling the car up and just barely inching forward until the car was back on the dock.

Did that make sense?

Thanks for the fun puzzler!

Sweeti said...

If it were me trying to remove said object, I'd use a crane with a sling straps for more stability. It would however take more than that to free this car, It would take someone at the same time moving the boat away from its mooring.
There now if I were queen that's how it would be done :)

Cerulean Bill said...

So if you merged those ideas -- a barge to carry a support into position under the car while a boat holds the one that's there now in place ...a crane to hook onto the support and lift the car a few inches off the boat... and then transfer of the car either down to the barge or up to the ground.

Excellent !

STAG said...

Most marinas have cranes to pull boats out of the water and onto land cradles for winter storage or for land transportation. I expect such a crane would make short work of little old car!