Monday, February 05, 2007

Cold, He Snapped

I just got to drive for about 15 minutes to The Girl Scout Meeting That Wasn't. Apparently, the woman holding it decided at the last minute that it's too cold to expect the kids to come -- its about - 11 C, at the mo -- and either didn't tell my wife or sent the message to her work email box. We wasted about half an hour, overall. Great fun.

My daughter is now saying that although she does want to be a girl scout next year, she wants to be a 'juliette', which is when you are a one-girl troop. I think its terrific for kids who otherwise couldn't participate, but it seems a little weird to me when the whole idea of girl scouts is the community part of it. On the other hand, it does likely mean another year of easy access to Thin Mints, so thats a good thing.

I mentioned the other day that one of the people for whom I work has asked us to keep track of the things we do that add value to the company, and those that don't. Objectively, almost everything I do adds value, but I have to say, its at a very, very low level. Thats food for thought, if it doesn't drive me crazy.

Got to get some dinner. We were going to eat out while the troop was meeting....

2 comments:

African Kelli said...

As a former girl scout, and a former girl scout leader, I'd really recommend you find her a better troop. Troops can be a total disaster or a complete success -- and you are right! A big part of the GS experience is the sisterhood.

Cerulean Bill said...

I wish I could. She's been in a troop with others, and didn't like it (part of the problem was that her mother was, first, the troop leader, and later, in a merged troop, the assistant; she got grumpy when she didn't get pride of place). Also, she's not fond of playing with other kids -- she wants to be alone a lot, which they don't like.

But we'll keep trying.