Saturday, March 31, 2007

This Evening

I usually wake up when my wife and daughter return from color guard events, so this time I thought I'd stay up, do some reading, and possibly watch some television. And I did: three chapters in Executive Orders, and then some TV. To wit: the lamest Stargate:SG1 I've ever seen (granted, I haven't seen all that many, but this had a special something that made me confident it would win any Lame Award); the middle and later the end of Escape from New York (I think they must have spent easily five hundred dollars on sets for that flick); the beginning of I,Robot (which was pretty good), and the ending of Independence Day (somewhat good). And, let's see, an episode of Three's Company, and part of the local news.

Tell me again why people watch television? Though I'm sure that the experience would have been much better if we had a high-definition plasma turbocannon-equipped television, for sure.

As expected, the kids didn't do too well. One of the cute rules that the guard group has is that if one of the kids isn't performing (for whatever reason, such as, oh, a broken foot), they automatically lose three points; but if you happen to have someone who's qualified to do the routine (because they did it last year), they can't participate, because they're 'not a current member'. Sounds to me like some people have way too many lawyers. Speaking of which, one guy was wandering around taking beaucoup pictures with very slick professional-looking video equipment; he offered to make copies of what he shot available, but at a cost, as 'his wife said he had to earn back some of the money for his toys'. Guess what his profession is?

I'm glad they're home.

No comments: