Thursday, March 15, 2007

Doing Politics

As may have been occasionally apparent here, my politics tend to veer toward the Democrats, though my registration is Republican. Since I am dismayed by how ineffectual the local Democratic party is, I offered to volunteer to one of their organizations. I didn't think I would do anything substantive, but I flattered myself that perhaps I would be able to do something useful. I got a response that said thanks, we'll be in touch.

Tick...tick...tick...

Okay, I said, what the heck is going on here. So I wrote again, saying that I hadn't heard from anyone, and whats up? Gee, they said, surprised, we'll check. And they asked if I know how to do HTML, and I said that I did, though I normally use a nifty little package called Visual Page to do that sort of thing. In any event, they said that I'd be hearing from the chair of the local organization.

And I did. Two mailings, each advertising a rally or coffeeklatche or gathering or something (it was sort of vague) in support of labor and the disadvantaged, hurray, hurrah, lets all get together, link arms, and sing the old marching songs!!! These people are stuck in the 1950s, I think. Perhaps the 60s.

So I started to think 'If I were a normally apathetic voter (which I am, for the most part), what would I expect to see on a web site for a political organization?' Well, I thought, it should talk about politics -- who's running where, what the issues of the day are, who the competition is. And it should talk about the communities -- whats of interest (in a general way) and where to go to find out more. I'd have something that invigorates the people who look at it.

They do mention that elections are coming.

Sigh.

No comments: