Friday, March 16, 2007

Gelid

And the snows came. Boy, did they.

It started around noon, and a dusting quickly turned into a steady snowfall. I left work around twelve thirty, stopping at some places along the way, and by the time I got home at one thirty the snow was falling heavily, so thick and fast that I had to take two tries at our sloping driveway. Thats always a bit of a balancing act: too slow, and you won't get traction up the hill; too fast, and you might not stop before hitting the garage. Between then and three thirty I shoveled the top of the driveway twice, so that my wife would be able to get in without incident; she did, but the snow was already covering the top on her arrival. She just went out to do a little bit (memories of the last snowfall fresh in her mind) and said that since her arrival home about four inches has fallen. The prediction is for a total accumulation of six to ten inches. Fortunately, tomorrow is Saturday, and we have no plans, other than the usual run to the supermarket, which can certainly be delayed. Sunday -- urgh -- I get up at four thirty to dial into a product upgrade, but even there, its just across the hall, not actually driving in, so its bearable.

I see where the united Republican front, aided by two independents, blocked a Senate resolution to force the return of troops from Iraq. I am sorry that it failed, but not sorry that it failed this way. Its a good thing for a party to have to fight and to compomise for what it wants, and I would bet that there are some Republicans who are right on the edge of voting for it, just as there probably were some Democrats who voted but without full support. Its not a great thing, but it is a good thing.

And I see where the United States is now making common cause with a 'radical cleric'. I always cringe when I hear that phrase. I don't believe in militant religions, and I don't like giving people who are militant and religious the right to use the same title as genuine men and women of peace. Call him a radical, call him a militant, but don't call him a cleric. Thats secondary to what he is.

2 comments:

African Kelli said...

snow. I barely know you. Sun. I know you too well.

Clerics I don't understand. militant ones even less.

Cerulean Bill said...

No prob, Kelli. I'll put some in a baggie and mail it off to you. The snow, not the cleric.