Saturday, March 31, 2007

Reading

One of the things that I learned about myself quite some time ago is that my mood -- not so much my emotional temperature, but what I feel capable of -- can be affected by what I am reading. Most of what I read doesn't have that effect, but some does.

At the moment, I'm in the early chapters of a thick novel by Tom Clancy, Executive Orders, which I got because I needed something without a whole bunch of depth to it, but enough going on so that I could lose myself in it. I've had a bit of a rough week, and distraction sounded like a good idea. Today's a pretty quiet day, as my wife and daughter are off to a color guard event, the last of the season (they'll likely not do well, as the team wasn't doing all that well anyway, and one of the girls broke her foot this week), so I am alone, effectively. I did the grocery shopping, put them away, and now I'm just reading. And what I find is that I'm pretty sure I can lose ten or fifteen pounds, no sweat.

I know this is bogus. Yet the attitude of resolve and purpose in the novel is so strong, that I find myself adopting it. Work out more? You bet! Eat at least somewhat better? Absolutely! And while I'm at it, demonstrate intelligence and energy at work? Unquestionably!

Wish it could last, but its nice while its here.

No comments: