Saturday, March 31, 2007

Burgers

I am not a great cook. I can do simple things, like make spaghetti and meatballs, or grilled cheese, but I can't make a decent burger.

There's a restaurant near here, part of a chain, called Ruby Tuesday's. One of the things they sell is called Ruby's Minis -- two or four burgers that are about two inches across, toasted bun, some kind of dressing, and onion straws on the burger. I devour those things. I've never tried Ruby's regular burger, because, to me, the small ones are perfection, which means that the best that the large one could be is equivilent -- and with the small ones, I can eat part, and give part to my wife.

I can't make burgers that even come close. I can make okay burgers, but nothing where you take a bite and think Hey, this is good! I don't know why. I thought it might be that the beef we normally get is moderately low in fat -- about 88%, I think -- so I tried using regular ground beef. Not that. I have heard a story about Lee Iacocca asking the executive chef at Ford why the burgers there were so good, and the chef said that it was because they started with steak, and ground that up. Haven't tried that. I do think doing it on a grill is key, but thats about the extent of my insight.

I'd really like to be able to make a decent burger.

At the moment, the griddle for the grilled cheese is heating.

No comments: