Friday, March 09, 2007

Posting

I was just moseying through sites, when I came across one with a lovely picture of a quesadilla, complete with what appears to be strawberry jam. Yum, I thought, and started to read the article. "I can't believe I haven't posted about quesadillas before", the post started. Okay, fine, whatever, tell me about them! I skipped down a couple of lines and found this memorable phrase "..except for the ones at DelTacos, which taste like crap boogers to me." Next site, please! I mean, really. I know that coarse talk proves that you're one of the people, salt of the earth, not taken in by the shiny gimcrackery of the marketing world. Or at least I know thats what I'm supposed to think. But crap boogers?

One of the magazines we subscribe to is Kiplingers Personal Finance, which we regard as a pretty good mix -- not so dry as Barrons and the Wall Street Journal (except for the lead page center column, and the commentary columns, in the WSJ -- I always like that ), and not so much Gee! Wow! fluff as Money magazine. Over the last few issues, I found my enthusiasm waning, as the articles seemed to be aimed at people with way much more money than me, or incredible control over their finances. There's some of that in this issue, too: one family with three children already has over seven thousand dollars socked away for their youngest's college education (the kid is five years old) -- and my personal give me a BREAK article, the guy who won a Powerball lottery payout of $125 million dollars, took the lump sum payment of $85 million, and his goal is to turn that into two. billion. dollars. Oh, yeah, they're talking to me, for sure.
But this issue turns out to be substantially better than that, with a whole bunch of doable ways to increase savings, decrease costs, and generally enhance your financial life style. Which is so very important when you're planning on devastating it by major dental surgery, possibly buying a Mac, definitely buying a new car, and, oh yes, retiring at the end of the year (maybe). So, I'm glad we subscribe.

Speaking of the surgery (which has STILL not started, got to go put the jumper cables to the people scheduling this stuff): there is a faint possibility that my new health (not dental) plan may cover the bone grafting part of the procedure. Thats about a third of the cost, and they'd likely pay less than half -- but as I said to my wife, any amount greater than zero would be a Good Thing. We'll see. I don't have my hopes up, but wouldn't it be nice?

Time change this weekend. Can't wait to see all those timers go berserk!

4 comments:

genderist said...

I'd just like to go on the record as being against crap booger quesadillas.

Cerulean Bill said...

With or without strawberry jam?

Rach said...

Maybe she really knows what 'crap boogers' taste like. lol

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, nurses are pretty resilient, that's true....