Sunday, February 19, 2006

Medical Alternatives

I don't know what to make of alternative medicine, but today, shortly after I jokingly (and maybe not so jokingly) told my wife that I was feeling so stressed that I needed some Zoloft (I think that's the name of one of the meds that advertises itself, followed by a prim notice to 'see your doctor'), I found a non-medical alternative that is giving me some tranquility without medication. It comes in two parts. The first is Baileys Irish Cream, in a small etched-glass vessel. And the second is bookshelves. You see, we're going to have the living room painted soon, and part of the preparation for that is unloading the bookcase so that it can be shifted away from the wall. I can't wait to see the dent this thing has left in the carpet after fifteen years!

But as I have been taking books down -- these get tossed, those get filed into the cardboard box -- I have been pausing on occasion to glance at them -- not so much reading them as glancing at the covers and remembering how much pleasure they gave me. One is Thinking in Time, by Richard Neustadt, subtitled 'The Uses of History for Decision Makers'. Another is John W. Gardner's On Leadership. Two more ' Shutterbabe - Adventures in Love and War' (literally), and 'Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives - Tales of Life and Death from the ER'. And 'Moving Mountains - or, The Art of Letting Others See Things Your Way'.

Some books, you might never read again, but you're still glad to have them.

No comments: