Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Graphic Content

I like graphics. I think of them as applied art. Graphics are focused creativity. Done well, they say things, they move you, they give you a point of view that you might not have had prior to seeing them. Some are informative, some are fun, some are both.

I picked up a book this evening at the libe. Actually, three. One I saw referenced on the GeekyMom blog, and it sounded good. One's a collection of acceptance-winning (okay, okay, not by themselves) Harvard admissions essays.

And one's a collection of business cards.

Now, I have to admit, not all of the items in the collection are jewels. Some are even ugly. But most are attractive, and some are masterpieces of communication. They get their message across, and they do it with humour and with style. Some make me want to buy what they're selling -- and I'm not even sure what it is!

I came home a tad irritated, because the library charged me a fine for having a book out past their period -- I totally do not get the fine concept, totally do not -- but I calmed down pretty quickly, glancing over at these books on the front seat. And now that I've glanced through them, even more so.

Good stuff.

No comments: