Friday, February 03, 2006

Greased

I tend to write posts for this blog in Word Perfect. I actually like WinWord better, but only because I'm used to it. Word Perfect's a better tool, with lots more capability and flexibility. I wish I could say that the interface in WP is obvious; its not, particularly if you're used to WinWord, and therefore have this prior mindset of how it 'ought' to be. But it's a good tool. The reason that I use it frequently is that the Blogger editor only gives you about 50% of the width of the screen to work with, and that just feels too tight. So I write the posts in WP, start up Blogger, and do a Cut and Paste. But no more. I'm writing this in Blogger, and I've got about 90% of the width of the screen.

The reason is that I just installed an extension to Firefox that's called GreaseMonkey, which is free, and which is advertised as letting you modify the way that screens are presented. (Possibly modify more, too; don't know yet.) So I went to UserScripts.Org and found one pre-written script called Blogger Large Post Editor. I looked at the script, said 'Install' -- and hey presto, a screen's width to write in. No tight feeling!

This is a Good Thing.

No comments: