Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday, Billday

Today it's just me again. Daughter and wife gone, won't be back until way-early Monday morning. The cat really didn't like being locked out of the bedroom, so I said what the hell, and let her in. Though waking in the middle of the night to find her sleeping on my chest was a little strange.

Cooked a simple breakfast - sausage, coffee, waffles -- turns out that the pancake batter makes a decent waffle. I should have let it cook longer -- I like crisp waffles -- but the sausage was ready fast, so I grabbed the waffles as soon as I could. I really don't know why sometimes the sausage cooks fast, and sometimes not. Doesn't seem related to anything that I can think of. Breakfast does cook faster when it's just for one, I've noticed -- though the bother of setting up the table, then clearing it all away, seems a bit more onerous. This is why guys eat over the sink, I think. I never did that, but I can see the logic.

Did a little bit of reading with breakfast. Of course, it's something to do with France, but it's not studying, per se -- rather, it's French By Heart, a book about a woman's experiences living in France when her American husband is transferred to Michelin headquarters in Clermont, France. Some of the things that the French do make so much sense to me -such as how they handle health care - while others.... such as the practice of their bank of locking their doors during the day - you press a buzzer to get them to unlock them -- well, it makes sense, but it's not particularly friendly. I am, as might be suspected, obsessing about French lately -- yes, even more than normal. Last night, I was reading a novel before going to sleep, and thought I really ought to be studying French. So I picked up the Easy French Reader and read about four pages. It really is getting easier. I still have to fight for almost every paragraph, but not necessarily every sentence. What I just read was a brief history of France in WW2. Sad to say, with the histories thus far of France and wars, the word envahit is becoming pretty familiar to me.

Five days to the all-day French immersion class. I am simultaneously eager and terrified.

No comments: