Saturday, November 06, 2010

Turtledove

I wish that I could like Harry Turtledove's work. Many other people do.

HT is an author, specializing in alternative histories. What if Gandhi had been jailed by the Germans instead of the British. What if the South had won the Civil War. What if Germany got the atomic bomb before the US. The problem I have is that it always, always comes out that the bad guys win. Gandhi gets shut down and the movement dies. The South wins the war, and the country divides into two nations, one wealthy, one degenerate. The Germans -- well, they just go on and on. Today, in the bookstore, I saw one asking What if the Germans had been able to extend World War II. I flipped through it, and soon enough, came to the happy Americans flying a C47, abruptly killed by two German spies secreted on the plane.

The bad guys always win. If I wanted that kind of result, I'd read more about this last election. Sorry, Harry.

4 comments:

genderist said...

heh... buh dum-dum

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, really. Who writes books where Challenger didn't explode, or Bush was actually bright?

Unknown said...

I can't say I like Mr Turtledove. His alternative histories are too Tom Clancy-ish, too pat, just too convenient.

I almost sent one across the room, proclaiming "of course he wouldn't do that, you idiot! At which point I figured it was best not to read any more of his work.

Clive Cussler has the same affect upon me.

STAG said...

http://www.break.com/index/ballon-bass-and-box-jam.html