Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Events

Actually, not so much. It's just that I'm in a weird mood.

Partially, it was reading this morning of two events involving the Muslim religion - the usual things. My wife and I talked about it as we walked. We didn't come to any surprising conclusions. My wife tends to think that things like that happen with any religion. She did observe that much of religion seems to be superstition, or the feeling that 'you can't talk about my religion, but I can talk about yours'. I'm not a deep thinker - the older I get, the less I am - but I think she's right. Religion gives people the opportunity to take offense. It does more, sometimes a lot more, but it does that, too.

Still a little bummed by the election results. It'd help if the Republicans had some style and integrity, but they don't seem to. At least, their leadership doesn't.

I read, too, about a woman who'd been in jail, learned a trade, got out, got a job practicing that trade. She told the hiring peole about having been in jail. They gave her the job anyway, and she worked out okay. Then a newspaper wanted to use her as an example of how hard it can be for ex-cons to find a job. She asked her bosses if that was okay, and the corporate overlords for the company fired her. They said that they hadn't been informed, and while they support the concept of ex-cons getting a job, well, not here. Weasels.

Last night we went to a 'banquet' for the band. They gave out awards for this and that -- best marcher, funniest person, most improved -- all of which was good. But one was a 'broken drumstick', for the guy who broke his foot, dropped out of marching drumline, and joined the non-marching part of the band. The aware was to 'symbolize his broken committment to the drum line'. They laughed, but that left a bad taste in my mouth. Which in turn makes me wonder: am I getting old?

Wierd mood. This helped.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think your wife is right. Religion seems to be the one place in our culture that we need to bend over backwards not to offend and is often above skepticism. I can't think of anything else that holds that same kind of place. And if you couldn't tell I don't believe religion deserves any special treatment just because it is religion hah.

Unknown said...

Your Mrs is definitely right!

==

I remember one of those "huh?" stories about prison trades. Some chap attended a state-sponsored barbering school in his prison; he got the necessary qualifications, from NY State, to become a barber once he got out. He applied for the license, only to be told that ex-felons can't be granted barbering licenses...

If memory serves, it was only after the NY Post covered his story that the rules (apparently it was a rule, not in the legislation, but I might be wrong about that) changed.

Cerulean Bill said...

...above skepticism. Yes, and above control, too. Of course, when the people who run the religion run the country, that's doubly difficult. Even the ghostbusters are of no use, then.

I'm not against religion, but there are times when I think that viable alternatives do exist. They just don't have the cachet that religion does.