Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Political Support

Yesterday, while I was the judge of elections for our local precinct, I had a woman who asked to hand out political literature inside the building. Normally, that's not done. But it was chilly out, and this woman had three small kids with her, so I said yes. She could stay just inside the door, between it and the next door into the building. It was about a 50 square foot space. During the day, I got a complaint about that, but I said it was okay with me. If she'd been alone, I wouldn't have let her do it, but I just couldn't see having to stand outside with those kids. Later, I found that what I did was legit -- you just can't hand out literature in the immediate proximity of the voting area - but in much of politics, there are these rules....not all of which are written down.

I was impressed by this woman's energy and willingness to do that -- three kids, small area, multiple hours? - so I wrote to the candidate and told her. I mentioned that the complaint I got was that I was clearly favoring the Republicans. I'm a Democrat, though they didn't know that. The candidate wrote back thanking me, and said she knew exactly whom I meant. They'd already talked, and the woman had told the candidate that she appreciated what I had done (apparently, at least one judge had made people like that stand out in in heavy rain instead of letting them stand on a covered porch). She said that the woman had always supported her in her candidacy.

Which is, she said, a nice thing to have from your sister.

2 comments:

genderist said...

Great story - love the last part. I'd stand in the rain for my sister, too.

Cerulean Bill said...

But in a small chamber with three kids under the age of six, for hours on end? Wow....