Sunday, November 28, 2010

Reminder

I wrote myself a note and stuck it on my laptop's main screen.

Quite some time ago, some people who look at this blog made some comments that really helped me when I was down. I kept their comments in a note on that same screen (in fact, it's still there, though I don't look at it now). So recently, when I've occasionally gotten a little down about my progress with French, I jotted down a reminder:

Je n'ai pas étudier le français pour pouvoir parler avec Eloise sur Facebook.
J'étudie le français pour que je puisse parler avec des gens qui parlent seulement français.

The name cited is our French summer guest. It may seem silly, that I needed to write that. But, you know? It helps. Reminders help.


Oh, and by the way. I couldn't write that from scratch. But I can read it.

4 comments:

genderist said...

Totally know what you mean by being able to read it but not come up with it. It's also amazing how much you can understand but not be able to say it yourself.

Unknown said...

I agree reminders help. I just can't remember why... :-) (SORRY!!!)

Cerulean Bill said...

Don't tell me; you have a photographic memory, but it's tough getting the negatives developed?

Cerulean Bill said...

....and I guess I should mention that I'm forcing myself to develop the ability to speak French from scratch. I've written some phrases down in English, and challenged myself to translate them without help other than my dictionary. It does help, tedious as it is. Maybe BECAUSE it's tedious?