Thursday, November 04, 2010

Earning It

I’m guessing that the probability of Barack Obama’s getting reelected plummeted this week. I’m no great forecaster, but I’d wager its down around 25% -- and that’s assuming he both chooses to run and gets the nomination.

During the last presidential election, I was one of those people who said that he ought to punch more, ought to be aggressive. He won without my advice, but that won’t stop me. I think he ought to spend the next year with a bold notice on his desk: MAKE THEM PAY FOR IT. Meaning, don’t let them get away with squat. Don’t let them use their standard bombast – refuse to acknowledge that they’re even in the room; if that’s not possible, point to their plans and demand details. Don't let them slide into well, if we were in charge. To a large part, they are. Make them belly up. We’re not playing at Wimbledon here; we’re playing street football in Detroit, and the other side just got a cache of new weapons.

If they say something useful, acknowledge it -- but only it. Nothing more. Don't say nice things about them. Demand to know why they haven't implemented these plans yet. Be unreasonable. Make them earn it. Don't be bipartisan. That ship has sailed. They took that noble desire and they whacked you with it, big time. Don't give them another chance. Remember who puts you in office. Forego visions; deliver.

There are things to like about Republicans, and Republican goals, but there is almost nothing to like about their leadership. Make them pay for it.

They want the spotlight, the power? Make them earn it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree! So far the GOP has managed to not say what they'll do differently. John Boehner, indeed, when asked what they would do differently said "Nothing!"

It's also about time Mr Obama woke up and realized that "doing the right thing" is not necessarily the same as doing what is popular. He gave himself a B+ at the end of last year; personally, I'd give him a D on communication.

Cerulean Bill said...

And they won't say, either. Professional politicians know that with specifics comes danger. Better for your career to be broadly vague.

And yes on the communication, too. As I think he realized about a month ago.

Vajra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vajra said...

Yup. I agree with everything you wrote. Except that I like nothing about Rethuglicans or their policies.

Cerulean Bill said...

By that, I meant that the idea of government no larger than provably needed (yes, a nebulous concet and a shifting target), and the idea of fiscal rectitude, are both appealing to me.

genderist said...

Totally agree. The Hater and I were having a very similar conversation last night.

Cerulean Bill said...

The empathic part of me wants to say 'well, this is how democracy works'. The realistic part says 'these are the simplistic sob's who inflicted Bush on us'.