Friday, November 26, 2010

Hardware

I don't have a tablet computer, and I rather doubt I'll be getting one any time soon. Much of what I do with a PC involves keying, and though it's possible to key with a virtual keyboard, I prefer the tactile feedback that a screen doesn't give. I'd say can't give, but I suppose that's overreaching. I can imagine a keyboard array that sort-of gives feedback while still being a flat-screen; I just don't think it'd be particularly satisfying. Overall, a tablet doesn't do it for me. I've seen people using one, and I tend to find myself thinking gosh, that looks clumsy....too bad you can't collapse it down when not in use. A tablet with a slide-out keyboard -- that would be interesting. On the occasions when I think of upgrading my phone -- before the are you out of your mind; do you know what that would cost, in service fees alone? strikes -- I like looking at the ones with that kind of keyboard. I used to have (actually, still have; it died and is buried in my sock drawer) a Casio Boss PDA. I loved the clamshell design, and could not believe that people were buying the glass-front style. It seemed that those would scratch so easily; wasn't that a consideration? Apparently not. So when I think of tablets, I'm really thinking a really thin laptop. Yeah, that would be good.

MacBook Air? Ah....no. Not quite ready to go to the dark side yet.

No comments: