Monday, March 27, 2006

Writing

I don't put much thought into the background of the people that I've come to 'know' while writing and reading blogs, but you do build up an image of someone based on what they write about, what their picture looks like (if they have one), and the tenor of the things they say. Every so often you get a surprise -- one blog that I like, written by a woman who lives in Canada, has a warm, family-oriented tone -- I can almost see her baking cookies with the kids -- which is which I blinked when she referred to a digital picture that had been snapped by her child as showing the 'ass end' of a stuffed animal. Huh? Got to realign my image of her -- not better, not worse, just different. One site has a picture of the person who writes it, and after I'd built an image of the author, it was changed; the new picture is fine but its a lot different -- its older, which makes her almost a different person that I need to get to know. One site (geekymom) doesn't have a picture, but it does have a cartoon sketch, and to me, thats her -- smart, insightful, funny, and, oh yes, a cartoon figure. In a way, its like the difference between movies and books; in one, you get the image they want you to have; in the other, you get the image that your mind develops. I don't know, but I almost prefer the second. Less surprises.

And no, I don't ever intend to put my picture on here!

6 comments:

Rach said...

Ya liked the pic of the ass end of the Pony huh? ;)
4 yr olds almost ALWAYS take pics of things you don't want them to, or think they should. haha

So if you refuse to post pictures, you then force us (your readers) to create our own image (like you mentioned in your post). That could be a very dangerous thing!

Cerulean Bill said...

That's because unlike you I don't look good in pictures, Rach.

As for your child's photographic skills (gee, wonder if thats what the AE in my Canon AE-1 actually stands for), I thought it was funny.

Rach said...

That's because unlike you I don't look good in pictures, Rach.

Thanks!

Bahaha .. I will NEVER be able to look at that AE feature without laughing AGAIN! :P

Sweeti said...

So what would be shocking about you to us if we saw your picture? Your age, Color, Creed, or nationality, What would it be?

Hmmmm...it kinda does feel like being judged by the cover, my spirit feels young and my heart is good that's what counts I guess. :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, let me put it this way.... suppose I did put a picture there...selected one and said yeah, that one. And you looked at it and saw a fairly muscular guy with thick light blond hair and a nose that was broken once from rugby, years ago. Wouldn't you like to see that?

I mean, as distinct from a photo of me ? (g)

Sweeti said...

You know for me a picture posted is just a little clue to who a person is visually, But really I never gave it much thought till you brought up the subject. I don't know what I'd want to see as a visual description of your personality, Maybe just you or you and your family, for a face to the thoughts and writings on a blog I guess.
For example, My picture does tell you that I'm blonde but It doesn't tell you I'm smart or not, fun or not, a good mom or not, a terrific wife or not and good friend or not, for that you'd have to know me by reading or actually physically really know me in person...Just a piece to the puzzle.