Tuesday, March 28, 2006

F-Stopping

When I was at the color guard event, I rediscovered photography. I havent taken more than twenty pictures in the last ten years, and maybe that number the five years prior. No opportunities, no time. When I was retired, and when I was in the Air Force, I had the time, but not recently. I've mentioned that I am looking at the Canon S3 (and would like to be holding it, Canon!) but I've had mild reservations: Gee, Bill, you're going to spend all that money for the camera, and when exactly are you going to take pictures? Taking about 80 (yup) pictures over the course of three and a half hours reminded me of how much fun it can be. Most of the photographs were of people in the percussion teams doing their various routines, and a couple were color guard (weighed heavily toward, ahem, one particular unit), but several were taken in the interregnum between the end of the percussion and the start of the color guard, either of the percussion people lined up for awards, or people just milling around, laughing and joking (and in one case, doing an impromptu wrestling demonstration). The percussion people were particularly delightful, as the girls just in front of me were bopping around in place to the soundtrack of Celebration, as were the ones off to one side waiting to hand out the awards. Man, they were graceful (though they'd probably have been surprised to hear it.) I think that teen-age girls are way better at that than guys -- they're less inhibited, more willing to be spontaneous.

At one time I thought I wanted to be a professional photographer. I'd subscribe to the magazines, read the articles. Seemed to me that a lot of these people were fussy old men; perhaps their 'improved' versions of photographs really were better, but not nearly as great as they made them sound. And truth to tell, I half-thought of it as a creative career, and half as a chance to hang around with good- looking people (cute girls? Who, me?) and people who weren't so good looking, helpiing them look good. I didn't study this stuff, and mostly I did scenic photography, but when I had the chance to take someone's picture, and it came out well, I was secretly pleased. I don't have a great eye, but I've got a bit of one.

I surely wouldn't mind doing that again.

2 comments:

Rach said...

I have the Canon S1 and since the S3 is an improved version, I can honestly tell you, you will LOVE your new cam! Sure there's alot of pics I take that don't turn out, but that's the great thing about a digital. The delete button works like a charm. ;)
I love taking photos too .. I take HUNDREDS of just one event, but it helps when there's two main subjects I adore to photograph.

I say go for it .. if you've got the money and want to spend it on a great cam .. do it. You'll be drawn to taking so many more photos when you're using a really great camera. Oh, and it has video, so no need for a cam corder. hee!

Cerulean Bill said...

You've sold me, Rach. When I get it, I'll post anything that comes out well. Except, you know, the occasional stuffed animal. (g)