Friday, March 10, 2006

Spending

Its a funny feeling to have money to spend and nothing to spend it on. Or, more accurately, nothing available that you want to spend it on.

I had said that I could think of two uses for the windfall that I received this week -- a new camera or a small stereo system. As it turns out, the camera that I picked will not be available for about two months. And I can't find a small, elegantly designed stereo. Even when I decompose the concept into pieces -- an AM/FM receiver; a preamplifier for turntable input; a device for transmitting output to wireless headsets; wireless speakers, some kind of remote connection to the PC network - I can't find anything that feels right to me. I much prefer quality to quantity, simple elegance to excess. I don't need or want extreme anything. But in this case, there is no quality available.

Eventually, I told the people giving me the money to defer giving me half until I retire. That's not so much for the tax benefit -- the windfall isn't that much -- as just to make it a smaller number to deal with. Okay, I think, if I can't find a useful use for X dollars, what about 0.5X dollars? And even there, I've flamed out.

It's quite an odd feeling.

2 comments:

Sweeti said...

Hey just a suggestion but you could send it to me I'll take that problem right off you hands in a heart beat what are blog friends for.
No but seriously, that's to bad maybe if you just resign to saving it you'll become inspired by something. Take the pressure off.

Spenders block...my kinda dilemma.

Cerulean Bill said...

If I could, I'd spend it -- well, some of it -- on the things you bake, which are clearly superior. Speaking of which, I made the profiteroles. Not bad. But where they say rounded teaspoon of batter, use more -- that just gives a shell about 1 1/2 inch in diameter.

You're right, its a nice problem. Maybe I'll find a decent charity -- a local one, not a megacharity -- and give some to them.