Monday, March 13, 2006

Photoshop: Can You See It?

In a few months -- whenever it becomes available -- I plan to get the Canon S3 digital camera. It occurred to us that we'll probably want photo manipulation software. Since the gold standard for that appears to be Adobe Photoshop, we went to the Adobe site to check it out.

We were amazed, stunned, awed, flabbergasted.

But once we got past the price, the software seemed pretty amazing, too. Have to admit, we didn't actually uderstand a third of what was being pitched (Raw Support? Thats a .... good... thing, right?), and for another third, we suspect it is only true if a) you're a power user, b) you have a powerful PC (say, a Sun Work Station), and c) it isn't doing anything else at the time.

Which is not to say we won't buy. Heck, what's a piece of software that's about two thirds the cost of the camera between friends?

5 comments:

Narie said...

I have an older version of Adobe Photoshop. It's a pretty powerful program and sadly, the only thing I use it for is to resize my photos and turn them into pretty, perfect-size jpegs.
Honestly, Paint Shop Pro would do the job for a fraction of the cost. Photoshop is a program meant for artists (in my opinion), it's a mammoth beast of software! But alot of fun if you like to design things.

Cerulean Bill said...

Several months ago, I saw a review for a package that was considered to be an adequate replacement for PS for those who needed minor capabilities. I don't recall what it was, though.

I don't like software that I have to learn. I realize that's a silly attitude, but I just think that software should present itself in a way that its essential capabilities are there 'right out of the box'. Once you're comfortable with that, you hit the 'what else can this do' button, and go from there.

As you can tell, I don't work for Microsoft!

Sweeti said...

I love my photoshop, I love my paintshop pro too But I can do so much more with PS and I feel its more user friendly. Every program has it's strong points.

Rach said...

I have the Canon S1 digital camera. It's an amazing little camera with alot of really cool features. I can imagine the S3 will be that much nicer.

Cerulean Bill said...

I'd like to think so. I used to do a fair amount of photography, and I'd like to get back into it. I was astonished to find that the top of the line -- at least, I think it was the top of the line -- for Canon was about $1500 -- for just the BODY! Too much camera for THIS country boy....